It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 9:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to Victoria 2 multiplayer forum.

Post subject: New Mod discussion
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:07 am 
Site Admin

All the things you'd like to be changed with detailed reasoning and suggestions.
In the first post I will list things that I feel should be added, we can discuss that further.
As for naval units please don't use this thread, it's too big and too important topic, just use a separate thread for that.

Post subject: Re: New Mod discussion
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:47 am 
Site Admin

1. Adding Italian to accepted cultures of Switzerland.
2. Increasing province liferating in multiple provinces according to real life pop growths during 19th and early 20th century, if you have any suggestions or more info about this please let me know(Sneaky mentioned this last Sunday and I think it's pretty good idea).
2a. For now I have Kiev,Istanbul,Vojvodina,Central Hungary,

3. Overall militancy change(mostly through technology making separatist and other rebel groups less militant) perhaps adjusting consciousness to militancy rating.
4. Reducing increase to army supply consumption from technologies.
5. If possible adding reduction to navy supply consumption in technology.
6. An idea: Making tech school penalties/bonuses more harsh -> should result in technological diversity.
7. If possible adding few more flavor events(mostly for prestige) from Kristjan's mod.
8. Adding Hanover to Prussian sphere.
9. Countries around Persia get more civilization progress.
10. If possible make it so that war capitulations last 3 years instead of 5. Or reduce them in some other way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:18 am 

Huge economic overhaul to prevent the mid game crash -- Add many more gold provinces, or reduce the price of forts/naval bases so they aren't retarded.

It looks like you nerfed USA even more by getting rid of statue benefits entirely?

At this point I don't see the appeal of this mod at all. Russia nerfed into the trash unless it conquers germany,
USA nerfed so that any country in Americas can compete with it (Why the **** wouldn't I just play someone with half the coefficient? I can get the same pop either way)
UK nerfed so that they essentially have ~30 less infamy, no canada/australia etc (Would be fine if they started as puppets of UK, but they don't).
Some sort of BS love of "historical" outcomes when it's supposed to be a "ranked" game (Hint: This means the mod should be based around balance, not historical nonsense)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Some critiques of your changes posted:

1. If you're going to add Italian, might as well add french and german (like vincinio's mod) otherwise you're just putting in a country that only has one viable expansion route.

2. Instead of bothering with province life rating you could just make it so that countries get as much pop as Vanilla? Put some pop growth in education % tree, forces everyone to get it and helps Russia who automatically gets it.

5. This is a great idea. Know what's better? Just setting it back to vanilla. What's the point of lowering maint costs after raising price of artillery? It messes with things you don't account for. It would make other military goods essentially never a problem, for instance. whereas now you will occasionally have problems with canned food, or ammo.

6. I don't like this idea. It will just make traditional academia best a lot of the time, and makes having someone as an AI impossible (The AI will quite often change tech schools).

7. Don't add anything more from Kristjan. 90% of his ideas for mods have been bad for balance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:36 am 

One of the things I like about this mod is that money isn't completely useless. I've played MP games with vanilla, HPM, and kristjan's mod and in all 3 people have so much money by the end game that they can fully fund a maxed out army/navy at the and still have a positive balance. When I play with the Kristjan mod I literally stayed mobilized for the entire game and only demobilized after I got a mob increase tech or after 15 years when my POP growth increased my mob pool enough, and then immediately remobilized afterwards.

Even in the current game I've had enough money to to keep my poor taxes at 0% from the start. The only time I needed to tax the poor at all is when I had parts of my country occupied in the first 2 prussian wars. I probably wouldn't have had to raise taxes if I wasn't subsidizing prussia/ottomans/swiss/spain during those wars too. When I was Spain in the last game I was able to fund 60 man o wars, level 3 naval bases everywhere, and a maxed out army in 1870 and STILL not have my taxes at 100%.

If you manage your economy well by getting the right techs on time, building the right factories so that you never have to subsidize them, and most importantly taxing the ever loving **** out of your rich POPs, then money isn't a major issue for the majors.

The last two are pretty huge with regards to potential income. I notice that a lot of people including Slayzer promote a lot of capitalists then at the same time don't tax their rich POPs at 100% because they don't know how capitalist income and POP promotion fully work. I don't have access to my computer right now but I'll bet that if you load up the save as Austria and compare poor/rich taxes that my rich tax income will be the same or higher than my poor income.

A final thing to note is that all extra income from your artillery factories goes to capitalists in the state. If you have good tax efficiency techs and you max tax the rich, then around half the shown income on those arty factories goes directly to your balance. Provided you have most of the tax techs, maintaining huge artillery stacks isn't as expensive if you are able to produce all the needed artillery in your own country.

So in conclusion I think army maintenance needs to stay the same. Naval/fort construction can be tweaked however. There is a value for the likelihood of the AI to build forts in the defines. I believe if you set it to 0 the AI will never build forts, so you can test out guren's idea of setting the initial cost to 0 and just have it cost a lot of goods.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:44 am 

Hello I wanted to add my 2 cents on switzerland.

It starts with it's own culture, which is fine since the culture of our language sectors are distinctly swiss. Romande, Swiss German and Tessiner are all firmly swiss.

Switzerland also has a certain advantage that it has a massive assimilation rate, being so small and leadning to full Citizenship means that If you hold a terretory for a few years it will become significantly swiss. So I don't think there is an absolute need to make it accept all 3 cultures

If however you wanted to go the acceptance route I'd vote to split the swiss culture as in this picture

on a side note If you could fix the south border that would be great, the front there is stupidly long in the regular game and makes no sense, if I have a unit in wallis and Tessin there shouldf be no way to bypass theem and directly march to central switzerland and Bern.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:29 am 

I am all for adding stuff that might help balance things out.

But if you want to add flavour I would just switch into PDM mod.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:44 am 

FYI the increased naval supply you saw on Sunday is a bug that happens sometimes when you first load a save game. This is the artillery and clipper cost of a frigate on the first day of a loaded save.

Attachment:
v2_1.png
v2_1.png [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 172 times ]

Here is the cost a few days later without me touching anything.

Attachment:
v2_2.png
v2_2.png [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 172 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:58 am 
Site Admin

It's not a bug actually, it has to do with increased artillery supply consumption.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:58 pm 

Then why does it go away after you let the game run and why does clipper/steamer cost go up as well?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:29 pm 

Add Australian Culture pops