It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:26 am

Welcome
Welcome to Victoria 2 multiplayer forum.

Post subject: Suggestion for another possible coalition game
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:31 pm 

So the first coalition game has been officially abandoned and there were indeed lots of problems with it, but me and some others still seem to think the concept was good may want to try it anew sometime in the future. If that happens, and we manage to work out some of the practical issues with attendance and such, I have some suggestions for making the game more interesting. I felt in the original game that there was sometimes too little incentive for some coalitions to go against each other, for instance with NOFAG (of course I may have some personal bias here being part of UAR and all, but hear me out :D). Since most of their coalition was located in the Americas and since aside from UAR no one else was, there was indeed little reason for a coalition such as The Entente to fight them, except for that one war in Asia. And that makes perfect sense really, since NOFAG and The Entente had almost completely different spheres of interest they had every reason to stay out of each others way and just accumulate score in their separate theaters. I'm not sure what would've happened if the game had gone on longer, but I can't see much reason this pattern would necessarily have to break. So I have two suggestions on how to improve this aspect:

1) Every coalition needs to have interests in each theater, by having at least one member in Europe, the Americas and Asia respectively (maybe it could be divided up further with for instance east and west Asia or something). That would ensure that every coalition would be wary of the activity in every part of the world. A downside to this is of course that the coalitions would perhaps become too spread out and have difficulties working together.

2) In addition to the regular scoring system, add extra points to the coalitions in order of success at the end. Like the coalition with the highest score would get an amount of bonus points for being in 1st place, those in 2nd place would get a lesser bonus, those in 3rd place an even lesser bonus and so on. This way every coalition would have in their interest to not only expand their own power but also keep the power of other coalitions down, even if they have completely different spheres of interests in the world.

Those are two suggestions I could think of right now. Maybe there are other ways to achieve what I'm talking about? What do you people think?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Suggestion for another possible coalition game
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:55 am 

I like this idea, but I feel like forcing everyone to have someone involved in each theater could become very unbalanced. For example, if one alliance has the US, another has Mexico, and another has Brazil, then there goes all the powerful, viable nations. And the remaining coalitions would have a smaller nation, who is very closed in from all sides, like Columbia or USCA.

I think a better spin on that idea would be to *limit* how many countries you can have in a particular theater. For example, each coalition can only have 2 countries in each theater. This way people can be someone close together, without being forced into arenas they want to stay out of.

I, for example, don't really enjoy playing in the Americas. So I could form a coalition with Japan, Australia, Ottomans, and Persia. This way, we all are close enough to work together. However we aren't concentrated in a single area and involved in European and Asian politics. As well as the race for Africa. This would also prevent problems like what happened with NOFAG or the GDI. Due to their concentration and close proximity, they were basically untouchable, due to being able to support each other on a single whim.

This could also make for more interesting alliance ideas. Sure you can have the standard France/Russia, but I'd love to see an Austria/OE/Brazil/Mexico alliance. Or USA/Spain/Brazil. Alliances that work, but aren't the norm.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Suggestion for another possible coalition game
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:38 am 

Those are good ideas, that would perhaps work better than my original idea. Having a maximum of 2 nations per theater would also force people to spread out in the world, at least if they want more than 2 nations in their coalition. One thing I guess I would really like to ensure is that there are at least 3 coalitions in each theater as well, since that improves the balance of power. If for instance there are only 2 coalitions in the Americas and one of them completely dominates the other, like we had in the last game, there is really no one left to help the losing coalition get back at the other one, nor does the winning coalition have to watch their backs very much. If there are at least 3 coalitions then if one of them becomes too powerful the other 2 can work together to contain them, and any one coalition must be wary about committing too much into a war with one of the others out of fear that the third one will seize the opportunity to strike at them.

Report this post