It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:39 am

Welcome
Welcome to Victoria 2 multiplayer forum.

Post subject: Q&A Tips and advice for new players
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:58 am 
Site Admin

If you have any questions, or you don't understand how something work or how something should be done post here and some of the more experienced players will give you an answer, important questions will be quoted in the fist post.

Post subject: Re: Q&A Tips and advice for new players
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:13 am 

What is a good unit composition in an army? I've heard a few different things about this and don't feel entirely sure myself. Like when and how do you utilize the different unit types?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:56 am 
Site Admin

The most efficient fighting army should have same amount of artillery and infantry. Aside from that you also want to have reconnaissance as close to 100% as possible.

As you can see here I have an army composed of 1 hussar, 5 guards (infantry is better option though) and 5 artillery regiments.
Hussar provides 90% reconnaissance efficiency(red rectangle) in this case which so far was more than enough. In early game when largest stacks are up to around 30k you can consider replacing hussars with dragoons(due to better fighting stats, personally I prefer hussars over dragoons but most people(including some very good players) consider them to be worse.

Sometimes, and only in the early game you can consider adding some more cavalry if you notice that your enemy has less infantry than you and doesn't have enough soldiers in the front. That way your cavalry will flank due to better maneuverability than infantry.

However this is the more standardized army composition.

As you can see in this army we have 1 hussar, 4 infantry, 4 artillery and 1 engineer regiment. Also you will notice that reconnaissance(red rectangle) and siege efficiency(green rectangle) are up to 100%. This makes for perfect attacking/sieging army, if you can get swift victories and your have to do a lot of sieging you want that 1 engineer regiment, I wouldn't go over that as I don't find it necessary. Have in mind that engineers are not meant for fighting and are basically useless in combat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:09 am 

Guards are for attacking and infantry are for defending.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:33 pm 

Sermokala wrote:
Guards are for attacking and infantry are for defending.

And it's important to remember that if you have Guards composing part of your army, they're going to suffer the most amount of losses per battle. Not only do they have higher attack but they also are put on the front lines. Having an army made entirely of guards (IMO) is never a good plan since they'll suffer should you ever be attacked. When preparing for war I like to have two or three stacks with 3 Guards and 2/3 infantry to lead the initial charge. The rest of my armies are composed of Infantry, artillery, and dragoons.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:35 pm 

I have noticed that in battle infantry will suffer more than artillery, which makes sense since infantry is on the front and artillery in the back, but doesn't this also mean that it would be a good idea to have slightly more infantry than artillery in an army, just so that big losses in infantry still won't leave the artillery undefended? Like sometimes after a rough battle entire brigades of infantry are wiped or left with low POPs so I'll have a shortage of infantry for the next battle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

You can easily compensate that with mobilization.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:58 pm 

Hello
I'd like to know how to manage an absolute monarchy with high literacy : Germany. I hate elections ! I always end up cheating with events because I have a jacobin rebellion every year at some point. I will tell you what I'm doing and hope you tell me what's wrong or can be imrproved as Prussia/ngf/ger.

I supress liberal movements after I crushed a rebellionnot before.
I don't pass Free press nor harrasement (and landed voting obviously).
I choose consciousness over militancy during the liberal agitations (nationwide).
I put stacks where liberal agitation to remove them faster.
I choose liberal pop over +2 consciousness.
I choose MIL or CON on middle class nationwide over poor class localy (CON and MIL IIRC).
I kill artisans whenever I can (-20 % pop) ("send the troops" over negociate with leaders(+3CON)), otherwise I negociate with the leaders
I pass Trade unions(social reform desire) asap to get social reforms faster. I pass health care and school reforms as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

Germany is tricky one, even I dislike playing it for the simple reason of being one of the most liberal countries.
You can delay voting for some time, but you will run into serious problems if you suppress liberals for too long. The only way to delay it is to pass other reforms as soon as you get an option to enact one. Also try to keep your taxes low (on all stratas), to compensate for this you will have to use high tariffs.
One more thing you can try is to set national focus on promoting reactionaries/conservatives, I didn't test this one, and I honestly doubt it will have great results but it might delay liberals for some time. The problem is Prussia and later on Germany is simply too big to handle that way, you will have 4 national focus points while you won't have less than 20 territories.

I've only tried to stay Absolute monarchy with Prussia in one game, it worked until 1900. After that it became Hell on Earth. Every week I had new rebel groups spawning. So you will simply have to play some other nation if you like to stay absolute monarchy. I guess you can do it with Russia, although I've never tested it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 pm 

I just realised that I play Germany with reactionnaries always, I should stay conservative once the liquor/glass factories are running... I'll try that now.