It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am

Welcome
Welcome to Victoria 2 multiplayer forum.

Post subject: Pitching interest for a new MP concept
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:56 pm 

I had an idea for an MP game inspired by the WW1 game we had quite some time ago. Just checking if people would be interested in it, in which case I might try organizing a game like that.

The concept is that we have two large factions fighting each other like in the WW1 game, but the factions will change at certain intervals over the course of the game. Either we start the game with factions already set up, or the first part of the game is played free-for-all, like games usually are. Regardless, once we do set the factions up, the idea is to make them as balanced as possible in strength. The factions will remain stable for a certain interval, maybe 15 years, maybe 20 or 25, this can be discussed. During this time the faction members can actually do pretty much whatever they want and don't necessarily have to actively help each other, but near the end of the interval there will be a forced war between the factions, perhaps with some modded war goals to give it higher stakes and basically make it a world war. Then, once the war is over, the factions are dissolved and two new factions are set up by mixing the previous factions to once again make them balanced. The same pattern is then repeated for the following interval, culminating in another world war between the new factions.

The idea of this type of game is that we'll be sacrificing some diplomatic freedom on the player's part in favor of having several interesting and balanced conflicts throughout the game. The fact that the factions change at certain intervals should ensure that the game remains interesting and one faction doesn't merely snowball to unstoppable levels, but it also means that even though we have factions there will be some incentive to do cunning diplomacy with your current allies and maybe even enemies, to make sure that not only your faction but your own country accumulates power through the wars. Your previous allies could be your future enemies, and vice versa, so in the long run you'd still have to look out for yourself primarily.

As for how the factions are decided, I figured we could either make some estimations of power and just try to assemble nations into equally powerful blocs, perhaps with some third party who isn't actually playing themselves deciding the exact alliances to prevent bias. Or maybe we could make it more interesting, and assign the two most powerful nations at every interval as "captains" that get to take turns in drafting their faction members. Or perhaps there are other methods that can be interesting.

An alternative to the "stable factions for a certain interval of years"-model I proposed, is to only assemble countries into factions shortly before the world wars, while in between everyone plays free-for-all. That should ensure that the actual wars are as balanced as possible and also makes the time between the wars a bit more free and interesting. Maybe.

Anyway, I hope you get the idea. Does anyone think this, or something similar, sounds like a concept worth trying out?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Pitching interest for a new MP concept
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:20 am 
Site Admin

The WW1 has a major issue of one side winning the game in one war. I don't in what way the game would develop should we have countries switching sides at some point. Reading all this I kinda feel like coalition wars game might be a better choice.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:23 am 

The changing factions is precisely meant to prevent what you're saying. One faction wins the war, then they are very powerful and probably can't be stopped, but then the factions change so things are balanced again. In particular, if we only assemble the factions right before the major wars and then disband them right after then there shouldn't be any problems with any faction ever gaining a significant upper hand.

That being said I wouldn't mind doing a coalition wars game either, but why not both? :D

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

But why would anyone commit to the war if they know they will be switching sides after that?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:27 pm 

For personal gain and to avoid personal loss. Each member will fight to make their faction win, but must also negotiate with their faction members to try and gain as much for themselves out of a victory as possible. I would imagine that you'd have better leverage to demand things in the war if you commit to it fully, also if your faction loses the war you risk losing things from your own country. One thing to consider is modding the game a bit to create special war goals for these wars to make them a bit more impactful, so if you really commit to them you could stand to gain quite a lot and if you lose you might stand to lose quite a lot.

Report this post