It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Victoria 2 multiplayer forum.

Post subject: Re: General Game Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:05 am 

Guren275 wrote:
Supernova wrote:
One thing to remember with balancing is that there are three factions, so there will more than likely be a 2 on 1 like historical Allies+Comminterm vs Axis. With standard alliances it is not balanced, so I think most/all minors nations should join one faction and then the other two factions will fight the mega-faction, whichever it may be (probably not allies since they are slow to start).

Which means drafting via coefficients is even more important. Either we do a 2v1 sort of set up, where the 1 gets twice as much power, or we make it so that the objective is to take the entire world and have a 1v1v1

Agreed, though I'm not exactly how each nation rates. Off the top of my head I'd say something like 4 points for USSR, USA, and Germany, 3 for the other great powers, 2 for medium powers (Turkey, Poland, Spain, etc.), and 1 for minors. These are just 1st impression numbers and probably not that balanced so I would like suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:14 pm 

I would suggest that a rule with coefficants be simple along the lines:

One favtion may not have more power than the others combined.

Furthermore I would have coeficians with the highest power being around 100, this way we could represent the power differance of a nation joining an alliance more accurately.
I have made a preliminary List, I have not any modifiers for ideologies or national focus trees but I can add them soon:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qeym3 ... _draft.ods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:45 pm 

NoOnes wrote:
I would suggest that a rule with coefficants be simple along the lines:

One favtion may not have more power than the others combined.

Furthermore I would have coeficians with the highest power being around 100, this way we could represent the power differance of a nation joining an alliance more accurately.
I have made a preliminary List, I have not any modifiers for ideologies or national focus trees but I can add them soon:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qeym3 ... _draft.ods

Why is Spain fascist in this? They start democratic and split into fascist/communist during the civil war.

Otherwise this looks alright, but it seems to lean heavily on higher pops almost always getting highest scores.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:56 pm 

because they go either facist ot communit in a short war that starts with in the fiorst two months of the war.. again that has no influence on their power rating yet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:34 pm 

Spain should start off Un aligned in the coefficients. The formula should be adjusted to pop/3 instead of pop/2 because with that formula british raj, who realistically aren't more powerful until late late game where the state of the war is pretty much determined, are overestimated as well as china.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:50 pm 

how powerfull is that popn tough a smart britain for example will not produce more tank divisions but small arms to feed the raj, plus how much is one civ factory worth compared to 1 milion manpower compared to 1 mil factory, that is all really to be determined.

Edit Adjusted spreadsheet: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qeym3 ... _draft.ods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:08 pm 

why not simply set a victory condition like for any faction to win it has to occupy 2-3 capitals (of other majors) of the other factions.
it allows everyone to change factions and if one faction becomes too strong the other 2 would be incentivised to help each other at least until that too powerful faction is somewhat reduced in power.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:26 pm 

holoween wrote:
why not simply set a victory condition like for any faction to win it has to occupy 2-3 capitals (of other majors) of the other factions.
it allows everyone to change factions and if one faction becomes too strong the other 2 would be incentivised to help each other at least until that too powerful faction is somewhat reduced in power.

I don't think I have proposed anything different except with the limitation that one faction can not be stronger than the other two combined, once a faction reaches that strength we have a bit of a snowball on our hand that is very hard to stop even if the other two factions can muster an equal number since they have drawbacks in the rules alike not being able to reinforce one another.
It is only a minor block to insane diplomacy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:21 am 

What time and date do you guys normally play? I couldn't find it anywhere in the subforum.

BTW in terms of gameplay balance, I have 50+ full HOI2/HOI3 (mostly HOI3) campaigns under my belt, and the base game is not conductive to shifting alliances. Unlike every other paradox series, once you lose a single war in HOI you are done. Also, in terms of the majors, USA, Germany, and USSR dwarf the rest. If either USA or USSR allies Germany, the allies have no chance in hell. The problem is, without house rules to prevent human players from abusing WT, Germany has no chance in hell vs USA and USSR. The groups I play in have rules that prevent all ahistorical wars before danzig and forbids USA from changing ideologies. A fascist/commie USA is literally 2-3x stronger than a democratic USA, the lack of a 6th research slot means **** all when USA can use its full 150 civilian IC in 1937.

So if you want a balanced game, you have 2 options IMO. Completely historical until Danzig with historical teams, or you can draft out player countries before the game starts between Axis and Allies. Also 1v1v1 never works out because 2 of the factions will ALWAYS gang up on 1 of them before turning on each other, and the faction that gets ganged up on has no chance no matter how good the players are. 1/3 of your roster will automatically lose and have the game end early for them due to something outside their control.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:56 pm 

Is this game still happening btw?